Friday, January 22, 2010

I Need Some Benadryl

As of late I've been itching for change. I always get this way, especially if I stay in one place for too long.

Blake will often agree with me. We both have a hard time committing to things that strap us down, which is why we probably haven't had too much interest in buying our own home. (This is also interesting since we were married when we were 22 years old, and this is the only decision that I've ever made without hardly any consideration... It felt that natural and right.)

Regardless of my reasons why, I'm itching. Itching for change. Normally after living in one place for a year, we have packed up our things and moved into a new home. This has been the pattern since we married.

First, we lived in an old, somewhat charming condo in the middle of Houston. (The time spent there is a story of its own.) After a year there we moved into a lovely, little apartment closer to my work outside of the city. After a year there we moved into our friend's house, still located outside of the city.

Let me explain our current situation for those who don't know. One of my dearest and nearest friends from college bought a home with her husband almost two years ago. After only living in their home for a few months, my friend's husband accepted a temporary job assignment to Istanbul, Turkey.

Yes, that's right, Turkey. (This is the same lovely couple that Blake and I will be going to visit this summer.)

Anyway, upon deciding that they didn't want to sell their brand new home after enjoying it for only a few short months, they called upon the "Clean Queen" and her some-what dirty husband to rescue them from their dilemma.

Okay, so I pretty much begged my friend to consider us to live in their home while they were living in Turkey for two years, but in the end, we all decided that we definitely were lucky to have each other.

So, long story, short, that is how Blake and I came to be where we are now.

Well, it's been a year, and I can feel the itch rising up from the depths where it had disappeared for months and months.

Now, don't get me wrong... The house we are so blessed to live in is the largest, nicest thing Blake and I have ever inhabited, has a huge backyard for the dogs to run and play in, and is costing us little to nothing each month. I have NO ROOM to complain.

But still... There's that stupid itch.

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm anxious to see what our future holds. Maybe there's a deep, psychological reasoning behind my madness (and Blake's too). However, for whatever reason, I still need to remind myself that there's no rush. And more importantly, no matter where we are my home is not in a particular state, city, condo, apartment, house, or cardboard box. My home is where Blake is. Where my sweet dogs are.

For now, my home is in a darling friend's house, outside of Houston, Texas.




Welcome home!

1 comment:

  1. I understand this kind of 'itch'. I get it too, a LOT! (All of the sudden I feel like I'm talking about some sort of dermatitis... Glad this is a metaphor!) My personal opinion is that this feeling of unrest is God's way of telling us that He wants to make changes. However, sometimes it seems like He lets us know that He wants us to make the changes, but WHAT those changes are isn't always clear! Anyhow, I think it's His way of prompting us to open ourselves up to what He's planning. That's my two cents!

    ReplyDelete