Monday, January 11, 2010

Strawberry, Banana Muffins

I felt slightly blue today for one reason or another, so I did the things that make me feel better...

Cleaning and Baking

Whenever I feel sorry for myself / out of control I have a tendency to turn into a cleaning and/or baking tornado. Nothing that stands in my way is safe. (If you happen to be in my way, you can ask Blake, you become a victim to getting plucked, pruned, and dowsed in bleach.)

Today, for reasons I shall not reveal, I decided to take control of what I can in life by doing laundry and baking muffins from scratch.



Currently, the laundry to whirring in the background, while the smell of muffins fill the house... Below, I've included the recipe I went with for the muffins. I sort of threw what I had together, so you could say this recipe is my own personal recipe. I hope if you make then, they make you feel better. The muffins have made me feel better.

Strawberry, Banana Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins

2 large bananas
3 strawberries
1/2 container of Yoplait yogurt 
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup melted butter
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups of flour

  1. Cut up and mash the bananas and strawberries in a small bowl. I used the back of a spoon to do the mashing, and even though, the strawberries don't exactly "mash", if you cut the berries up into small enough pieces it really doesn't matter. 
  2. Add the yogurt, the egg, and the melted butter into the mashed fruit. Go ahead and mix up all of these wet ingredients. 
  3. In a larger bowl mix together the dry ingredients: the baking powder, the white and brown sugar, and the flour.
  4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. 
  5. Spoon the mixture into a well-greased muffin tin. I filled my muffins tins 2/3 of the way full. It turned out to perfectly filled the 12 individual tins. it's not quite a baker's dozen, but, hey, it makes enough for Blake and I to enjoy, plus some for me to take to friends. 
  6. Bake the muffins in a 350* oven for 20 minutes (or until you can stick a toothpick into the center of each muffin and pull it out clean).

Yum!