Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Best French Silk Chocolate Pie EVER

You are about to witness the creation of the best French Silk Chocolate Pie EVER.
Seriously... Can you handle this?!

I originally made this for Christmas, but I was asked begged to recreate this masterpiece for Blake's birthday.

Yea, he wanted pie (!) instead of cake for his birthday.
Alas, no icing for me.

Anyway, on with the recipe.

Ingredients:
Pie Crust  (I use the Pillsbury pre-made pie crust... It's not organic. I know.)
                                                                                                                                   *Hangs head*
3 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate 
1 cup of Softened Butter
1 cup Sugar 
1/2 tsp Vanilla
4 Pasteurized Eggs
*Important: Since the pie is not baked, you'll need the pasteurized eggs, which have been flash heated, to avoid getting salmonella. 

Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 450*F. In a glass pie plate, bake raw shell for 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Let the crust cool completely for about 30 minutes.
  I try to be clever and crimp the edges, but I ended up going with a more rustic appearance. I meant to do that, swear.

2. In a saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat; cool. 
  At this point I sing a little song:
"I love chocolate. Yes, I doooo... I love chocolate. How 'bout youuuuu?"

3. With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until fluffy.
All together now! 
"I love butter. Yes, I doooooo....."

4. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cooled chocolate and vanilla until well blended.
FYI: These pictures were taken pre-chocolate incorporation. It'll appear darker once the chocolate is added.

5. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating on high speed 5 minutes after each addition; beat until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
5 minutes may seem like a lot of time, but trust me, it's necessary.
If you don't, the sugar won't dissolve. Then your silk pie will be crunchy. Yum... not so much. 
And, if you happen to try your mixture in the midst of your mixing, and it's crunchy, keeping mixing!
New song!
"Just keep mixin', mixin', mixin'. Just keep mixin'."

 Yah for mixin'!

6. Pour mixture into cooled pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings and/or whipped cream. 
One last song!
"Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday toooo...."
Wait... Oops.
"Happy birthday to Blake. Happy birthday to Blake."
Sorry, honey. I got carried away.

P.S. Don't forget about my giveaway. It closes on Saturday, April 3rd!
Click here to head on over... 

No comments:

Post a Comment