Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Very Best Version of Me

Let me start off this post by saying in advance...

I am not perfect.
I don't know everything.
I don't claim to know everything.
Half the time, I have no idea what's going on.

Okay. Back to our scheduled broadcast.

Over the past couple of days, I've had abundant opportunities to consider myself.
What makes me, me?
Or more importantly, what makes me the best version of me?

There are several pieces of advice, whether from an outside source, a friend, a family member, or made up by me, that I try to follow each day to ensure that I'm the best version of me. 

I'd like to pitch some of those to you. 

Guidelines for Being the Best Me
(Listed in no particular order.)

1. A friend is someone who builds you up, makes you a better person. If you associate yourself with people who make you anxious, negative, or feel as though you are inadequate, let me point out that those people are not your friends. 
If the people you hang around with fit the above description... Drop them. 

2. When you are stressed about anything at anytime, stop for a moment and think to yourself, "What is the worst thing that could come out of this situation?" 
9 times out of 10 it won't be "you'll die". 

3. Call your family. Often.
This would be an appropriate time to think to yourself, "What's the worst that could happen?".

4. Take care of yourself. 
Eat right, exercise, get enough sleep. Yea, it's pretty important. 

5. If you live in Houston and have a yard, hire a lawn service to take care of it. 
It's cheap. It's easy. It'll save your marriage and your weekends. 

6. Keep it simple. 
If I explained it any further I'd be breaking my own guideline. 

7. Go to church on Sundays. 
Can you think of any way to better start off your week?

8. If you are responsible enough and not allergic, get a dog. 
They make the best companions. 

9. Leave your job at the office. 
If you bring it home with you, when will you have time to relax and recharge?

10. Talk about it. 
I'm still having an issue with this one, but I'm working on it.

Come on! Climb those mountains! Scale those cliffs!

So, the above are a few of my most important guidelines for being the best version of me.
I'm not perfect, though, and I find myself often neglecting one of the above pieces of advice. 
I can tell when I'm breaking/bending one of my guidelines because I start to get cranky and bitter.
Like a little kid.

However, I do make a point to work on it daily.
I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

1 comment:

  1. Just got back from traveling with the parents and one of the first things I did when I got home was read all the blog entries posted while I was away. So fun! Thanks, Kim!

    ReplyDelete